Totally 80"s and the Science Fair Project

The Little Petal attended an 8o’s birthday party this weekend…..it was so fun to see all the little girls….


…at their Cindy Lauper-est!
Good thing my little girl had fun on Saturday…cuz’ Sunday….


…it was ‘all hands on deck” to complete her science fair project.
I’m gonna rant here for a second….something I do not care to do in general…. and ESPECIALLY on my blog.
This was our 1st EVER science fair project.
When Ruby was in 3rd grade it was not required and in 4th she attended a TAG school that ask you to spend a Saturday at a local half-day science fair event for hands on experiments.
Though my 8 year old absolutely contributed to her project…including taking care of her plants over several weeks, keeping “data’ on their growth, taking pictures(fab ones by the by)for the final poster,synthesizing her thoughts about the results after a discussion with dad….it felt like a project that was more a grade for her dad and I than for Noli. I now see why Ruby’s TAG school did not do an individual assignment. An all day fair with several hands-on activities was more about the children learning and LESS about parents doing work for their kids.
At home projects have always been both a joy and a pain. I understand it is about providing a balance of parental leading and your child’s input.I have to also fess up to “taking over” in the name of aesthetics.
Do any of you out there have thoughts on take home projects that are often too much for the young child to do on their own. How do you handle things?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blogger news

Site info

Blog Archive

Translate Article

Blogger templates

VIP Banner


Labels