My 4th grade science fair experiment


My 4th Grade Science Fair
Project



This year I did a science project on lung capacity for my science fair I chose this topic because my grandma had gotten sick with pneumonia and was wheezing and having problems with breathing. The doctor had told us that her lungs were infected and weren’t working well. Her lung capacity had reduced which had caused the wheezing. That got me thinking about measuring lung capacity and how does age affect it and if exercising had an effect on the lung capacity. Which got my question, Do Different Age Groups Have Different Lung Capacity?


When I thought about what might happen I found my hypothesis, which is that the elderly people will have less lung capacity than the younger people. Also, I predict that females will have less lung capacity than males and that exercising will help a bit. I think this will happen because as you get older your age might affect your breathing.


Then to start the experiment I got my materials, masking tape, a one-gallon plastic jug, a measuring cup, water, a marking pen, a large plastic dishpan, a two ft. tube, drinking straw, and some helpers. As I did the experiment I wrote down the procedure, add a strip of masking tape from the bottom to the top of the jug. Then I took my measuring cup, measured one cup of water, and dumped it into the jug. After that I made a mark where the water reached. I then did those last two things 16 times! Now, take the dishpan and pour water until it is half full. Then take the
tube and put one opening into the jug but do not put it in too much. Quickly turn over the jug as fast as you can but try not to lose too much water. Get the other end of the tube, lift the bottle a little, and take a deep breath. Now blow as much as you can in one breath. Count how many cups were drained, record, and repeat.


After collecting all data for my experiment,  I put it in Excel to make a graph.


(click to enlarge)
Figure 1: Graph of Measured Lung
Capcity



The Key on Graph : Age, Gender (Male/ Female),
Exercise( Occassionally, Regularly, Daily).

                          Y-axis shows the lung capacity measured in number of cups.



After doing my experiment I did some research on lungs and I learned that there are two lungs in the human body, which both take up most of the chest area. The lungs expand from your diaphragm, which is under the lungs to your collarbone, which is at your collar. The lungs are under your rib cage. Then I started to research the lung capacity. The lung capacity is the maximum amount of air your lungs can hold. It is measured in cups. I made a device that can measure the lung capacity for all types of people. I also found out that male’s lungs are larger than females, which would cause the regular male to have a larger lung capacity than regular females. There is no average lung capacity that is exact because all people are different and some variables like height, age, gender, and some different medical and physical conditions apply.



Then I wrote down what I had noticed, or the discussion. I noticed that the male’s lung capacity had grown from child to 45 years old. Then it steadies out and starts to decrease as they get to 70. Though for female’s, their lung capacity grows then instead of steadying out it just starts to drop and it does it faster. Overall I noticed that the lung capacity steadily increases until 45 then steadily decreases. Some outliers made me separate the males from the females.








Modern Spirometer

      Incentive Spirometer





Spirometer is the name of the device used by doctors to measure lung capacity. There are many different types of spirometers. The modern one is used to measure lung capacity while the incentive type is used to make the lung capacity better. Some spirometers are used to measure the residual lung capacity, which is the amount of air that has to be kept inside your lungs for them to function. Many professionals use the spirometer. It is $ 51.00! Some devices are easy to make at home. A common one is the balloon measurer. There are two types of balloon measurers. In one type you blow into the long balloon and see how long it is. While in the other type you measure the diameter of the round balloon. The lung capacity device I invented is used to measure the vital volume, which is the maximum amount of air that can be inhaled and exhaled. The lungs use most of the vital volume when you need to take a very deep breath. My device only costs a few dollars. If you compare my device and the spirometer, you will see that they both do the same thing but mine is cheaper and easier to make and operate.


At my school science fair I showed my project. All the fourth grade teachers thought it was very good so they decided to select my project for the Science Expo. At the Science Expo, there was a reviewer who asked me some questions. When he was done he gave me a lot of compliments on a sheet, a certificate, and a ribbon. I took my evaluation to a staff member and she gave me an extra kite as a gift for participation in the Science Expo. Through out the Expo there were raffles drawn every 5 minutes and I really wanted to win so I stayed there for a long time. While I was waiting I saw other amazing boards that I liked on all different topics. At the end of the last raffle I was still holding my fingers crossed and I could not believe that the very last prizewinner was I! I got a very cool science kit that lets me build an amazing siren alarm! I also met my school librarian, who is Ms. Lindell and my teacher, who is Ms. Paiement. My parents took pictures and my teacher said that Mr. Amorose, my technology teacher, would make an OHTV on the science expo! OHTVs are little school wide shows at Oak Hills Elementary to show cool events. I thanked my teacher and went home very happy. The pictures my family took are right below here.




As usual, I love your comments –


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Blogger news

Site info

Blog Archive

Translate Article

Blogger templates

VIP Banner


Labels